WELL WE CAN'T. Or at least I can't, especially in the time given!!!!
This week, as the girlies were having an impromptu break at Grandma's I decided to get out my new, yes that's right NEW sewing machine and make something wearable!!!!
After all, I have the machine they use on the GBSB and the first book of the series, so how hard could it be?
Flipping frustrating that's how hard!
Step one - choose pattern and cut it out. I went for the tunic top that comes with the pattern. Easy peasy.
Step two - follow the instructions for sewing in the zip. Oh, hang on a min, I haven't done this on a machine before. Several hours and many unpickings later, I managed it, but not as the book told me to do it!
Step three - continue. I'm getting the hang of this.
Step four - sew the armholes. Hmmm, this bit was a real issue. I just couldn't do it. I spent a very, very, very long time trying to work it out. I shouted
I put it away. I made myself a skirt in the meantime. I didn't get cross with that.
Then I found a youtube video of exactly the same top, and exactly the same issue! Yes! This was the answer to my prayers.
No it wasn't. Hubby and I watched said video many times, I still couldn't work out what on earth she was doing. In desperation I sent a text to a certain Lazy Jones telling her I needed help. Then I went outside to read my book!
Ms Jones finally called me back - help I yelled. I need you. Be round in 5 she said - then we remembered we live about 4 hours apart. We talked, she advised, I listened. I was ready to try again.
Step five - go to sleep and leave the top for another day.
Step six - get up feeling refreshed and ready to tackle. Start armhole one more than once, sew armhole two perfectly first time! Feel happy!
Step seven - cheer very loudly when said top is finally completed after many, many hours of trying to get it right.
Step eight - discover that top does actually fit once you try it on!
Man this making your own wardrobe lark is going to take some effort!